Planting Calander

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Santa Clara County Master Gardener Sale / Tomotoes planted

Annual Master Gardner Sale: On saturday I picked up some tomatoes, lettuce, peppers.
They had a recommendation to plant two like type tomotoes in the same cage.  In their experiece the plants together will yield the same amount as a single plant.  I am going to try this and I planted them today.
Planted:  I put two Classics tomatoes together: Stupice and Glory of Moldova
and I put two Beefsteak together:  Aker's West Virginia and Brandywine from Croatia.
Like all the plants in the Garden, All are Open Pollinated varieties.
Stupice:  Czech origin, very early, cold tolerant, highly productive, small very flavorful fruit. Holds well. Red Indet  52 days
Glory of Moldova:  Gorgeous golden globes grow in clusters of 4-6.  Flesh is a deep golden orange and flavor is fruity & Sweet.  Highly rated in taste tests.  Early and consistently productive throughout the season.  Gold, Semi 80 days.
Aker's West Virginia:  Vigorous plants produce big harvests of delicious 1 lb tomatoes with sweet, rich flavor and very little cracking or other blemishes.  Family heirloom from West Virginia,  Taste test winner.  Red Indet 80 days
Brandywine from Croatia:  Productive, large, meaty pink tomato with delicious, complex flavor.  Very tender skin.  Regular leaf.  Rare, only available from Santa Clara Master Gardeners.  Pink Indet 85 days

I need to get a calender together to track days to Harvest.
Although the Nitrogen tested higher than last year, I am a little reserved about planting the tomotoes in the same place as last year.

all the walls and roof are on the seed house.  I still need to seal the panels in and I am going to tile the bottom to increase the thermal mass of the space.  I need to put in a shelf also.  Seems to working well.  I moved my seeds into it and also put the lettuce, peppers, eggplant and remaining tomatoes I got from the sale that still needs to harden off.

No comments:

Post a Comment